This is it for 2008! I can't believe I really did it: a blog post for every single day of 2008! It was as difficult as training for and running the marathon and as important to me as writing my book. And I did it--thanks for joining me on the ride! As promised, here's a list of some of my favorite posts and hopefully some of yours:
Most Popular Posts (determined by the number of comments/emails)
- Black Mothers of Biracial Children: We Need Your Voices: This post got a few comments initially, but sometime in late October/early November when I was very focused on my book revision deadline the commentary really picked up. I didn't have the time to reach out to everyone who commented then, but I hope if you're out there, you'll come back again and share more of your thoughts. I was also particularly touched by the story shared by Shannon in that comment thread. Shannon--I'm still sending you good thoughts!
- You Really Are Black. Yup, that post about sums it up for me.
- Biracial HairInterview with Teri LaFlesh: Nothing can cause a ruckus like talking about hair and women of color. I LOVED this interview with Teri. You will love not only her haircare tips, but her blog.
- Carly Simon is Kind of Black; and More on Carly Simon: People love Carly Simon. People are intrigued by her past. What else can I say?
My Favorite Posts (determined by ME)
- Mixed Experience History Month posts: Guys, you have no idea how much energy this took out of me. But I am committed to bringing the history of the Mixed experience to light. Mixed people and families didn't just happen because of the 1960s Free Love Movement! May 2009 I will pack this blog with more profiles of the Mixed experience. Tune in. Oh, and us chicks of Mixed Chicks Chat will be bringing you 365 Days of the Mixed Minute video-style. More on that in the coming days!
- Are Those Your Eyes? series: I really liked writing about this. Because really, where else could I? The fact that I have light eyes and brown skin is central to my biracial/bicultural identity. It's like people see the combo and have permission to ask that familiar question: what are you? My favorite post though was the one about Niece. Look for more of these in 2009.
- Friendship & Loneliness: This was a post I really didn't mean to write. But it was during a melancholy phase and it concerned me. What is required to be a good friend? I am not certain that I have been one in the last couple of years. In fact, I have been a selfish bastard with my time--hyper-focused on my writing and the Festival and MCC. I have "lost" some dear friends I think because of it in the last couple of years--folks who have gone radio-silent on me. I hope they show up again at some point. I miss them.
- Nephew Asks: Obama is Biracial?: The world is changing. I have to acknowledge it!
- Animal Posts: Pizotes, Lemurs, Cows: I love the animal posts.
- The Anniversary of My Dad's Death: A really personal post, but it was all that was on my mind. I wanted to share with all of you a photo of the handsome man I knew as my father.
Thanks so much for reading. You guys have been truly awesome. I may or may not be back tomorrow, but I promise I will be back soon! This is Light-skinned-ed Girl signing out for 2008. Bringing in the New Year with a bang!